Proof of Residency Third Party Custodial Status

IDOE recognizes that some students may not have required residency documents due to McKinney-Vento status, Third Party Custodial status, Foster Care status, etc. Below is guidance on each situation and documentation that must be maintained.

McKinney-Vento (Homeless)

● Completed IN Education for Homeless Children & Youth (INEHCY) McKinney-Vento Homeless Education Program Housing Questionnaire.

Third Party Custodial

● Maintain residency documents of the custodial guardian the student is residing with as proof of Indiana residency.


Placement of a student by DCS, FSSA, Courts, etc.

● Maintain residency documents from the custodial guardian, foster family, etc. the student is residing with for proof of Indiana residency.

● Documentation could include court order, placement letter or other information on the appropriate state or county letterhead.

Exceptions to Indiana Residency Requirements Foreign Exchange student

● Maintain residency documents of the host family the student is residing with for proof of Indiana residency.

● Foreign exchange students who are residing in, enrolled and attending the school corporation or charter school excluding foreign students enrolled and attending with an F1 Visa.


Student of an active Military family member

● Official military order of deployment or pending transfer supported in writing on official letterhead from the appropriate military branch.

● The address may include a temporary on-base leased home or apartment, purchased or leased home or apartment or federal government housing or off-base military housing.

*****Note to parents:  Anytime you have an address change, please notify the school as soon as possible.  You will be required to share a new proof of residency at that time.