UPDATED BYLAWS AND EXPANDED MEMBERSHIP
Historically the graduates of MSD of Decatur Township Schools have carried a pride of accomplishment through generations. “Decatur Proud” has long been a tradition and an important part of the Decatur Central Alumni Association. We understand it is our mission to continue preserving this tradition. In looking toward the future, the Decatur Central High School Alumni Association has updated the bylaws. The Association now includes all students who graduate from any MSD of Decatur Township High School past, present and future. Membership now includes those graduating from Decatur Central High School, Decatur Township School for Excellence, former West Newton High School, and Valley Mills High School. Historically West Newton and Valley Mills High Schools were consolidated in 1932 to form Decatur Central High School. The first graduating class from DCHS was in 1933.
ALL CLASS DINNER HIGHLIGHTS
This past spring the Association honored Mrs. Alice Milhous Emmert as the Alumna of the Year at the All Class Dinner held on May 13, 2017. Mrs. Emmert shared her memories of watching the Valley Mills High School building burn on Halloween night in 1930. Her class of 1936 was the first class to attend all four years in the DCHS building which is now the home of the Decatur Township School for Excellence. She also recalled many historical events of Decatur Township during her nighty-eight years of living in Valley Mills! We are all indebted to her fantastic memory of growing up and watching our community evolve.
Also during the All Class Dinner, the Association awarded Educator of the Year to Mrs. Susan Strube, the current Principal at West Newton Elementary School. Mrs. Strube began her career as a teacher at West Newton and has offered her professional service for numerous years at this school. Mr. Dan Graham received an Honorary Alumnus membership for his outstanding contribution to Decatur Township.
It is a tradition to place bricks in the Alumni Brick Plaza for those who are honored at the All Class Dinner, and this year all newly installed bricks were dedicated during the 4-H Fair sponsored by the Decatur Central Lions Club. Please stop by and take a look at all of the inscribed bricks in the Plaza located between the DCHS main gymnasium entrance and the Devere Fair Stadium. The Association offers bricks to be inscribed and placed in the plaza for all who wish to have a lasting connection to Decatur Township Schools. Therefore, bricks are not limited to just alumni, but all who are connected to the township. For more information and to place an order go to www.dchsalumniassociation.com.
DONATE TO THE DCHS HERITAGE ROOM
Thanks to all who have contributed to the DCHS Heritage Room. A wide range of artifacts and memorabilia has been given to make this room a treasure of memories. We are looking forward to expanding the space to exhibit, display, and preserve not only high school mementos, but Decatur Township artifacts as well. We have been invited to move the collection over to the original DCHS building located on High School Road. No timeline has been established and the move will depend upon the completion of the top floor renovation. Please continue to donate historical artifacts. We pledge to maintain and preserve these items for generations to come.
IN MEMORY OF OUR ALUMNI
On a sad note, many DCHS Alumni have passed away during the year including Gary Rusie the President of the Association. Gary was a dedicated alumnus who had a big heart for Decatur Township throughout his life. We continue to update information on alumni addresses, class reunions, special events and announcements on those who have passed. Please help the Association be informed using email@example.com or send to 5275 Kentucky Avenue, Indianapolis, IN 46221 so we may keep the membership updated. A big thank you goes to Larry Pellum Class of 1965 for keeping our data base current. He has most recently added a record for alumni in the armed service of our country.
ATTEND OUR NEXT MEETING
We invite all interested people to attend the monthly board meetings held the third Tuesday of the month at 6:30 PM in the Heritage Room using Door 26 of DCHS.