Welcome to the Volunteer Page
Volunteer Criminal Background Check Guidelines
In an effort to keep our schools safe, all volunteers (including staff) must complete a volunteer application form/criminal background check request and be approved as a volunteer prior to volunteering. This form must be completed at least two (2) school days prior to the event in which the volunteer chooses to participate in.
Volunteer background checks are completed by the Parent Liaisons using the State of Indiana Police criminal records database and the US Department of Justice National Sex Offender website database.
When evaluating volunteer criminal background checks, if the following charges appear on a volunteer background check, the volunteer will not be permitted to volunteer in our schools. Volunteer criminal background checks are evaluated on charges filed, not the disposition of the charges.
- Felony charges or felony conviction.
- Drug charge (felony or misdemeanor) with the last 10 years
- Battery charge within the last 10 years
- Child abuse or neglect charge
- Theft charge within the last 7 years;
- 2 or more DUIs or alcohol-related charges within the last 5 years;
- Any charge currently pending;
- Any misrepresentation on the volunteer application;
- Any other charge not mentioned above, but determined to be a risk to students.
Volunteer criminal backgrounds checks are valid for 1 year. Each year volunteers will be required to complete a new volunteer request form, and the status as a volunteer will be reconsidered.
If a volunteer is not permitted to volunteer in our schools due to pending charges, at the time the pending charges are resolved, the volunteer’s status will be re-evaluated.
The following are a few examples, not an inclusive list, of when a volunteer criminal background check is required.
Volunteer criminal background checks are required for:
- Assisting with supervising class parties;
- Assisting school staff in the classroom or school building;
- Attending Field Trips
Volunteer criminal background checks are NOT required for:
- Attending Meet the Teacher Night, Family events, class parties.
- Attending extra-curricular or other school-sponsored events as a spectator;
- Attending the school book fair.
Effective November 1, 2016
If you have any questions please contact: